Thursday, July 26, 2007

Be the change you want to see in the world...

Yes.
another post.


I just finished watching tonight's episode of "So You Think You Can Dance."
And I have to say that I absolutely loved it. The new "obstacle," if you will, was that each dancer performed the same Wade Robson solo. It was danced to John Mayer's "Waiting on the World to Change" and each dancer wore white pants and a white t-shirt with a peach sign on the front, and a word stenciled in on the back. (Hope, Understanding, Communication...etc.)
These dances were so powerful and emotional. Some dancers danced them with anger, others with sadness, and others with hope for the future. I was definitely moved by these dances. They just showed how much can be conveyed through dance.

The theme was peace. That was all.

Peace.

Which, I think, is something that everyone, all Americans, everyone in the world, wishes for.



And then I went to the SYTYCD website and was looking on their message board. And I found an OVERWHELMING negative response to tonight's show. From people saying that...they were disgusted...by FOX trying to impose a political statement. And that FOX and Wade were USING these dancers to shove their personal anti-war feelings on the audience...These people said that they watched this show for the dancing...not to be lectured on politics.

...

I'm sorry......WHAT?!

First of all, dance is expressionism. Freedom of speech applies. People can use their emotions and choreography to express WHATEVER THEY WANT. and it was beautifully spoken.

Second, could someone PLEASE explain to me what is SO WRONG with anti-war? Yes, I support our troops. What they are doing overseas is extremely courageous. However, I want to get them home as soon as possible. I feel that war is unnecessary. Yes, I know that the notion of "world peace" is a bit idealistic, but we need to be able to dream. "The opposite of war isn't peace...it's creation." Our world needs to stop being so destructive. I don't understand what is SO WRONG with wanting our world to evolve...start fighting with ideas rather than nuclear weapons. If this show had promoted PRO-WAR ideas...would these people be happy?? I just don't understand.

Third...the theme tonight wasn't specifically "anti-war"...it was PEACE. Now, granted, one could argue that those are the same thing...However, even if we were not in the middle of a war...you could still dance for peace...



I guess I could understand where these people are coming from because they do tune into this show for the entertainment value...but these are people who don't understand the emotion of dance. They see fun hip-hop pieces...but don't realize how much emotion is expressed in other pieces. Everything has a deeper meaning.

Censorship disgusts me. These people want FOX to APOLOGIZE for tonight's episode. APOLOGIZE? for promoting a positive message?


Their message was PEACE. Their message was the same as John Mayer's in that song. We, as a younger generation, as people who are not making executive decisions regarding the war, as people who have a voice and want to use it...we need to stop WAITING on the world to change. We need to be the change we want to see in the world.




PEACE.

No comments: